Friday, June 18, 2004

Loads of money will come

I received an e-mail just a minute ago from the former President of Liberia, Charles Taylor (sorry for the uppercase):

CONFIDENTIAL LETTER

Tel: 234-8037261128, Fax: 234-1-4401176

DEAR SIR,

MY NAME IS CHARLES -TAYLOR. I AM THE FORMER PRESIDENT OF LIBERIA.

I WAS FORCED TO RESIGN AS THE PRESIDENT OF LIBERIA IN WEST- AFRICA BY THE UNITED NATIONS / INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITIES WHICH WAS SPEARHEADED BY THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, MR. GEORGE - BUSH.

PRESENTLY I AM IN EXILE IN CALABAR - NIGERIA WHERE I AM STAYING UNDER CLOSE WATCH BY THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT WHO KINDLY OFFERED ME ASYLUM.

I NEED TO TRANSFER WHAT I CALL, MY FUTURE HOPE, THE SUM OF FIFTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS [USD 52,000,000,00] WHICH IS WITH A SECURITY/FINANCE COMPANY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT OR ANY THAT YOU CAN GET FOR ME.

I AM BEING MONITORED AND I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE CHANCES. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, MY COMMUNICATION AND MOVEMENTS ARE UNDER STRICT SURVEILLANCE THEREFORE MAKE ALL YOUR COMMUNICATIONS TO ME THROUGH MY ATTORNEY, BARRISTER. [Adesuyi James] TEL NO: 234- 803-576-5869 Fax:234-1-759 8673. (barristeradesuyi@netscape.net) MY LAWYER WHO IS ALSO MY CLOSE CONFIDANT WOULD BE ALBE TO ESTABLISH AN INVESTMENT WITH YOUR ASSISTANCE ON MY BEHALF UNTIL I COME OUT OF MY TRAVAIL AND TORMENTORS.YOU CAN GO THROUGH THIS WEBSITE TO SEE MY REAL DETAILS: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/africa/liberia/taylor-bio.html

SO PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT PERCENTAGE YOU FEEL WOULD FEEL WILL BE ADEQUATE COMPENSATION FOR YOUR EFFORT AND ASSISTANCE/ SERVICE YOU WILL RENDER.

I WAIT PATIENTLY FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

YOURS TRULY.

CHARLES TAYLOR.

EX- PRESIDENT OF LIBERIA



I especially like this field in the header:

X-spam-report: * 0.7 US_DOLLARS_3 BODY: Mentions millions of $ ($NN,NNN,NNN.NN) * 0.4 MILLION_USD BODY: Talks about millions of dollars * 1.6 DEAR_SOMETHING BODY: Contains 'Dear (something)' * 0.6 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS Subject is all capitals * 1.7 SARE_FRAUD_X3 Matches 3+ phrases commonly used in fraud spam * 1.7 SARE_FRAUD_X4 Matches 4+ phrases commonly used in fraud spam * 0.7 PRIORITY_NO_NAME Message has priority setting, but no X-Mailer * 0.0 UPPERCASE_75_100 message body is 75-100% uppercase * 3.0 NIGERIAN_BODY1 Message body looks like a Nigerian spam message 1+

No, you can't be serious! He sounded so sincere...